Sunday, August 16, 2009

I'm done.

So I have spent honestly thousands of dollars in my life on scouting my hunting areas, and finding new areas. I have put more miles on my legs, and taken more hours of my life than money I have spent. I know how to find animals. I love to help people out but I am so tired of being the only one who does any work, whenever I go hunting with anyone first question they ask is, "so, where are we going". Because they know that I have done my home work.

I can honestly say that my buddys have not shown me a single spot. Like I said helping people out is cool but I have been the go to guy for years, and all the guys I hunt with have more money than me and as much time, so why aren't they kickin down?

After talking with a guy the other night, tha I used to hunt with I decided that I am not going to play guide any more. I stopped and listened to what he had to say and it really hurt me, I think that my only worth to him is my knowledge of our area. From now on I am only going to show my spots to my brothers, Matt, Shi, and levi and my dad.

It is an unspoken rule of hunting that you dont go into your hunting partners spots without him, it is just not right. A good friend of mine took me to his bear spot last year and I had the time of my life. We sat in one spot for two hours and watched six different bears feed. We didn't kill anything that day but wew didn't have to, it was a really great day. Although I would love to go back in there I have not been back once, I have a lot more respect for my friend than that.

I got a call from a friend this last spring, "hey I just shot a big tom"! I was exited for him, untill I asked where he got it, "oh up in that spot you showed me last weekend". Whats even worse is when you show some one your secret spot only to find out that they took a friend of theirs hunting there. I am just tired of getting burned, I will still hunt with these guys but i'm not mr guide any more.


Public land, private knowledge.

2 comments:

Matthew said...

Whew! I was sure glad to see my name of the good boy list. Hey bro, I'm sorry you have to deal with so many one-sided relationships. I promise never to take anybody to the secret spots you've shown me or to go there myself, not that I'd go anywhere myself. Thanks for all your hard work, it really means a lot to me.

Naomi said...

you are awesome,and you have total right to feel this way:)